Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Little Advice To the DNC for 9/4 - 9/6/2012


I watched several hours of the RNC this past week.  The Republican Party is not my philosophical partner politically, and yet I wanted to hear what they had to say.  Perhaps they do have some new ideas. Perhaps they might say something that I can connect with.  The so called facts of several of the speeches I listened to this past week were filled with events that were not stated correctly. But, their convention is over, and the Democrat National Convention will begin this coming week, and I intend to watch their convention too.
 
My one piece of advice to all the speakers at the DNC is to check your speeches for errors and make sure that you can footnote every fact.  When copies of the speeches are passed out to the press and the TV media, the footnotes with sources should be listed and numbered at the end of each speech.  People do not want to listen to BS, whether it is coming from people you love or people you dislike. Do not insult the intelligence of the viewer of your political convention by making errors in dates that events took place. Be careful that you speak the truth and make sure that you can substantiate what you are saying with reliable sources for your information.  It is not necessary to stretch the truth, a little understatement, in my opinion, is a lot more effective.


And, finally be civil.  I don't care to see gross behavior by either delegates on the floor or the people at the podium.  If you feel like fighting, fight with the strength of your ideas. I don't know how many of my suggestions will be followed, but if I were in charge, this is the way I would want the DNC to conduct their business.

Flag by F.D. Zigler, acrylic on paper envelope.

No comments: