Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bond Rating Services and Toxicity

My father-in-law built planes for North American Aviation his whole life. On his desk he had a piece of wood with a message that read “quality must be built into a product, it can not be inspected into it.”

When I got into the municipal bond business in the late 1960's, there were two well known bond rating services that everyone used when discussing the quality of a bond. Now there are three. Bonds receive ratings based on their ability and willingness to pay their interest and principal in a timely fashion. These ratings start at triple-A and run all the way down the alphabet to a single-C.

I remember one day the bells rang out on the munifax wire and everyone ran over to the machine to read the news. As I remember it, and this was over 30 years ago, so my memory may be a little fussy, the general obligation bonds of New York City lost their single-A rating. Everyone knew the situation with regards to the finances of New York City was not good. It was not a closely guarded secret from the investment people on Wall Street, nor for that matter any other street. Even though New York City GO bonds carried an A rating, they sold as much as 175 basis points cheaper than any other piece of A rated paper in the municipal bond market. The next day the bells rang again, only this time the news was that the rating service that lowered the rating the day before had seen the light and was now restoring New York City’s A rating. New York City GO bonds continued to sell at a huge spread to other A rated GO bonds. The rating service change did not influence the muni bond market.

After New York City went into default on their bond obligations a few years later, several of the larger investment securities firms in New York created teams of municipal bond analysts to write reports on new issues of municipal debt. I used to receive these weekly reports and I read them. I will not go into what these reports said, as I figure by now, I have lost half my readers, and I don't want to lose the other half. This practice of producing research reports for municipal debt lasted for a few years and then slowly disappeared. Several firms produced these reports each week in a booklet formate. Each firm used a different color envelope to mail their reports. I would save these envelopes and use them to sketch on. I would take these large envelopes into meetings with me to sketch on so I would not fall asleep. Once a meeting lasted more than 60 minutes at the bank, my brain went on screen saver unless I started moving my left hand.

So, what's the point? The point is this, ratings and research are important, but not many are willing to put the money into it that is necessary to produce a quality product. Young analysts don’t make much money and they want to advance in their careers. The rating services don’t pay the big bucks that the investment banking firms do. As a result, the better analysts move from the rating services to the investment banking firms. Giving debt a AAA rating is a big deal in the credit world, or at least it used to be. US Treasuries are rated AAA, and that means something. When a mortgage credit is given a AAA rating, it better have the ability and willingness to pay at the highest level. A triple-A rating should not be taken lightly, it better stand for something. If ratings are compromised the whole system of credit ratings comes under a cloud.

The Fed can ease credit, lower interest rates and accelerate the growth rate of the money supply. But, the Fed can not wave a magic wand and bring investor confidence back to the credit markets if the credit rating system has been compromised. This type of crisis takes time to heal, and if it is a major part of the mortgage crisis mess, Ben Bernanke and God can not fix it overnight.

For all of you that have hung in there so far, I salute you. Tomorrow is another day. I will try to find something to reward you. Stay tuned.

7 comments:

annechovie said...

Hi Fred,Thanks for the comment! The best ways to attract traffic are:Setting up a blogroll and exchanging links with other bloggers who cover similar topics, commenting on other people's blogs and networking with fellow bloggers, asking for reader feedback or conducting surveys, illustrating your blogs with photos or images of some kind, and adding personal tidbits to make it more interest and "build" a more personal relationship with your readers. Just a few tips, I'm still learning myself, but wish you the best!

moneythoughts said...

Annechovie,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am looking for people that are interested in the economy, the markets and the Fed. And, people that like to look at my art, my paintings that I call political satire. There has got to be a few people around the world like me. Well, at least I hope there are. I am trying to bring some humor to my writings as I know, unless you like this stuff, it can be dry.

Again, thanks for your comments and I hope you will drop by again. Remember, Saturdays is for art.

Fred

WetPaint said...

Do you think US bonds will ever waiver from AAA? Who owns most of them? Citizens or foreign banks? It's not like the gov is fiscally responsible lately at all. That kid of slip could make the economy collapse, no?

How long can the country run on credit? It seems like we've hit the wall-it's been a buying and self-storage gorging for some time. It's like the whole country has become "the company store".

I think a lot of it stems from the obsessive drive for unrealistic profit growth. Maybe it will take a huge scare for companies to tout, and stocks to respond to, long term forward stability over expansion. No more quick bucks.

I was Creative Director of Doubleday/Book-of-the Month, bought by Bertelsmann. Their policy is 10% growth per anum, or be sold. Seems insane. (Book clubs are dying anyway.) Shortly after they bought us out entirely from Time Warner (the year after I left) they laid off 80% of the staff, to balance the books and not show a loss. Seems insane, especially since they are not publicly traded. They closed most of the 57 books clubs Bookspan owned. (The formal name of the merged company).

OK, I'm off topic.
Are the ratings companies working spin control, instead of telling it like it is? No one likes the bearer of bad news.

A lot of questions. Feel free not to address them all, some may be silly - but what do I know? Not much about this, for sure. Oops, is my ignorance showing? At least I'm curious.

Staying tuned.

PS- I like the color coded reports. I like all things color coded. Any meetings that last more than an hour deserve doodling.

PSS- Have you ever seen the documentary "The Corporation"?

moneythoughts said...

Wetpaint,

The majority of debt is held within the country. Jody responded earlier and put the amount of debt held by foreign holders at $2 trillion out of a total of $9 trillion. No, I don't think in our life time we will see US Treasury bonds lose their AAA rating. This is a strong country and our record of political stability is very sound compared to countries around the world. The point that I have been trying to make is that heavy borrowing coupled with the need to sell so much of our debt abroad, puts pressure on the US dollar. If we inflate our currency to pay our debts, US Treasuries may come under pressure and prices of bonds will fall and interest rates here in the US will go up. In 1978, the US Treasury actually issued Deutsch Mark denominated Treasuries because the dollar was falling in value to the German Mark and we couldn't sell US Treasuries denominated in dollars.

I'll take up the rest of your questions another time.

Unknown said...

Fred,

Don't 'try' to get humor into your blog. Just be you. If you have a sense of humor, it will come through - without 'trying'. I'm going to admiit, I find your subject matter a bit intimidating. I like your paintings and that's really what i enjoy about your blog. As far as the money stuff is concerned, I don't have any and the things you write about are concerns it's way too late for me to be getting into. I appreciate your intelligence, however, and I admire anyone who can make heads or tails out of all of that stuff. Keep up the good work, artistic AND financial.

moneythoughts said...

Lceel,

Thanks for dropping back and reading my stuff, and I appreciate your comments. The humor I inject is me. I write what I know about. I like to tell a good story, and hopefully I will get better in time. I am trying to keep it simple, not use terms no one understands, and add a touch of humor. I will post more paintings Saturday.

Tak care,
Fred

moneythoughts said...

Lceel,

Thanks for dropping back and reading my stuff, and I appreciate your comments. The humor I inject is me. I write what I know about. I like to tell a good story, and hopefully I will get better in time. I am trying to keep it simple, not use terms no one understands, and add a touch of humor. I will post more paintings Saturday.

Tak care,
Fred