Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saturday is for Art


The piece today is a drawing I call My Icons. The drawing was started in 2004 and then later finished three years later in 2007. The shape comes from the shape of the window that it is framed in. When I worked in Columbus, Ohio, I had an apartment that I lived in during the week. The new owner of the apartment building decided to replace the old wood windows that did not work. I salvaged a few of the odd shaped windows as I like to put my drawings in old wood windows. I think old wood windows make interesting frames. Windows permit us to see out and in. So, I just feel windows make what I would call a "natural frame." In this drawing there is "the level playing field", mother and child, a butterfly, the electric outlet and switch, all against an old Roman fountain. If anyone is interested in buying a copy of this drawing, feel free to contact me.

5 comments:

WetPaint said...

I used to see all kinds of delicious relics like old windows when I lived in Brooklyn. Wish I had them all. Now they are collected and sold at vintage boutiques. If there's a buck to be made... just wish I'd thought of it first! Nice piece- a real montage of a lot of your themes.

HAPPY IN NEVADA said...

If you have a question, I will be happy to read it and see if I can answer it or recommend where you may find an answer.

I noticed you wrote a little about Sparky Anderson. Did you live in Cincinnati at one time? I got to see a good number of games in the 1970's when the Big Red Machine was in action. Those were some great years for baseball in Cincy.

First, a couple of your words - just to let you know I enjoyed reading your comment on my blog.

Second: Yes, I got to meet Sparky Anderson; a reception for him @ GE when I worked for L. V. Tomasetti.

Third: I lived 7 years in Cincinnati; my daughter now lives in Morrow (she has her own little business - she does accounting; audits, etc.).

My son owns a Honda dealership in Marysville.

The rest of us headed to the west - Seattle for 3 years; California for 17 - Nevada for 8. Three of my sons all remained in California - we're heading there this week-end.

I would so love it if you wanted to say 'anything' or 'something' on the blog I started for the potential recession.

I'm not the wizard you are; I'm just the practical 'mom' and grandma, who's made the $$ work for me all my life.

If you want to read the blog first; if you have any links that you think I could add that would help (I've already put yours on there as well), then by all means - let's give those 'youngsters' a hand (you're the same age as I am according to your bio').

Take care - you are very kind to give so much 'help' for free....

Diane - kcir114112@cmaaccess.com

HAPPY IN NEVADA said...

I forgot - the blog is:

http://rollwiththerecession.blogspot.com

There, now you can visit it more easily. Diane

moneythoughts said...

Hi Happy in nevada,

I wish I knew which blog to write you back on, you have so many. Thanks for your comments. I enjoy writing this blog Monday through Friday, and I try to treat it as my job because I don't have a job yet. Please indicate which of your blogs you would like me to respond to.

Leora said...

Thank you very much. That is a very pretty drawing. I love looking at art, but I am not so good at drawing myself. I think I might take a class someday.

-Leora