Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday Is For Art




Today I am posting three paintings that are not finished, but I thought they were far enough along that they would nevertheless be interesting to look at. The first painting is a redo of a quite similar painting that I did in 1991 in oil and enamel paint and measured 36"x48". This painting is 16"x24" and is painted in acrylic. Over the years several people have given me favorable comments about the original painting. I thought it might be interesting to see if I could reproduce the original and perhaps create and little more depth in the painting by using color and perspective. The second painting was inspired by a recent VANITY FAIR cover. Then I saw the ESQUIRE cover with President Obama and decided to do that cover as well. Back in the early 1990's, I created six postage stamps on paper in oil. These two stamps are on MDO plywood and measure 24"x16" and are painted in acrylic. The VANITY FAIR postage stamp is 42 cents. Can you guess the postage number for the President Obama stamp? Right! 44 Cents. I thought they would make a nice pair of "stamps". Political art for me is a way to express my interest in what's happening in our country.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Yep my dad does read your blog.
Good luck at your art show! I will have to look into that show.