Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saturday Is For Art






Today I am going to put up a few photos of a piece I have been working on (off and on) since September '07. The inspiration for this piece comes from the Taft Museum of Art here in downtown Cincinnati. If you ever find yourself in downtown Cincinnati with a couple of hours of free time, walk over to Fourth Street and head east until you walk into a big white house with a sign on the gate that says Taft Museum. You will not be disappointed if you love Old Masters and an interesting collection of Chinese ceramics from the Ming Dynasty, plus much more. The piece I am working on now is inspired by an Italian piece made of wood (the frame) and glazed ceramic (the center piece). My piece is made from Styrofoam, cardboard, cereal boxes, and a little paper mache. The core of this piece is Styrofoam and duct tape. The rest of the piece is made from cardboard and ceral boxes. Then it is covered with gesso and then paint. I am now in the painting stage of the process. The piece is not finished, but I thought I would post a few photos showing how the project is progressing.

3 comments:

WetPaint said...

Hi MT!

The piece looks great. I am glad you posted your process. It looks beautiful at the all-white stage too.

I am mid-purge, so I can get to some projects later this summer.

Turns out I have more freelance work than I wanted, but if you say no, they don't ask again. So I take it when it's there!

Hopefully I will get to paint- I am planning 2 portraits. Thanks for the inspiration! Papier mache- do you use organic w/ flour, or the more gelatinous art paste?

Kristine

PS- Did you notice this was the first year in forever that possible terrorist threat was not the big story for the Fourth? I think it is because it can no longer be effectively used to distract us from our how our economy is in the crapper!

Unknown said...

When this page came up I asked myself what could Fred possibly be doing? That looks like duct tape! But, as I scrolled down the page and I saw the rest of the photos, I realized you were showing the progression of the piece from the beginning. I love that.

And I love the piece.

moneythoughts said...

Thanks for your comments Wetpaint and Lceel. The paper mache is put on with real wall paper paste. The decorating part is now beginning and will take some time to complete. There is some shading to do too. After I complete the project, I plan to offer it up on my blog, or atleast computer prints of a photo of the piece. It has been fun to work on and since I have no time table, I can work when I want. More pics later after some of the decorating starts.