Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another Left Handed President

Did you know that we are going to have another left-hander for president? In the recent past, we have had four left-handers for president. Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford were/are left handed. There were three more left-handers from earlier times too, Harry Truman, Herbert Hoover and James Garfield. Seven left-handers out of 43 presidents and we are about to have our 8th left handed president because both McCain and Obama are both left handed.

Those of you who are members of the right handed world maybe unfamiliar with the way left handers must operate in a right handed world. I was born left handed and have remained left handed my whole life. My father was left handed, but was forced to learn to write with his right hand. My father would write with his right hand and draw and paint with his left hand. Years ago they believed that it was bad to be left handed. In fact, in many cultures left handed people got names like “southpaw” and other nick names.


Many famous people have been left handed including a few famous artists. When I was playing baseball the only positions they would let a left hander play was pitcher or first base in the infield. All three outfield positions were open to left handers as being left handed in the outfield made no difference. When I played fast pitch softball, I got to catch. I loved being able to play in the infield and being close to the action. All the years I played hard ball I was stuck out in right field. It was no fun standing out there in the sun waiting with my hands on my knees for the next pitch. If you were lucky you might see a fly ball come out to you once or twice in a game.

As an artist, I know my stuff is different. Few people care for what I paint. But, it is what I paint and it is what comes out of me. Oh, I paint other subjects from time to time especially if I get someone asking for a specific subject matter like the three goldfish I recently painted. Otherwise, I keep coming back to my political satire and the icons I have created. Perhaps some day I may get away from the political satire and move on to other subjects more suitable for the purpose of selling art, but for now, it is what I do.

I am going to take off for a few days. I am taking a little trip so I may or may not put up new postings. To my millions of fans, go back and read a few of my older postings or look at my art work. If I do not post anything between now and Labor Day weekend, have a happy and safe holiday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a good trip Fred. We'll be herre when you get back.

Carole Seawert said...

Yes, it's strange how many left handed US presidents there have been. I only know of two UK prime ministers who were left handed: Churchill (who was forced to switch, like Reagan) and James Callaghan (from the 70s.)