Saturday, August 23, 2008

Saturday Is For Art





Today's piece is finally finished. I may add another coat or two of high gloss acrylic varnish to the center piece. I started this little project last October and worked on it off and on for the last 8 months. The core is Styrofoam and it is covered with cardboard, cereal boxes, some paper mache, gesso and acrylic paint. Like other artists, I have icons that I use repeatedly in my work. Mother and Child, Level Playing Field, the Butterfly Flag are just three of the more common ones. I will post a pencil drawing, titled My Icons and the first Mother and Child I painted in the late 1980's early 1990's. That piece with the wood frame that I made measures 72 inches by 48 inches. Today, I was at the museum and took a few pictures for my next project. This new project might take me another 8 months to complete, but that is the nice thing about being retired, there is no hurry. I plan to photograph the top piece and even offer signed prints later. The market for my political satire is very thin. It consists of a few friends and family members. But, this is what I do, and I enjoy it. There are some contemporary artists that only think up the idea and have other artists execute the idea. For them, I guess that works. But for me, the fun is the whole process. Taking the idea and then working out the challenges to bring the idea to life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Neat segue to the England as Mother idea.

Very, very cool.