Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saturday Is For Art





I am posting my drawing of two houses in the historic neighborhood of downtown Dayton, known as the Oregon District, to show my support for the President's new housing program that is aimed at keeping 9 million families in their homes. We, as a nation, are going through some very difficult economic times for many of our fellow citizens. While we all have a responsibility to ourselves and our families, we also have a responsibility to our neighbors and each other. Yes, some abused the system, but many many people played by the rules and yet they and their families have been caught up in this economic downturn. Now is not the time to be mean spirited (if there ever is a time to be mean spirited?), or resentful of our government giving those in need of help a helping hand. The deflationary spiral affects us all. This plague will pass, but until we can pull ourselves out of this downward spiral, it is in everyone's self interest that we all try to help each other to survive. We will all be losers if we lose sight of this fact.

From the time I could hold a pencil, I have enjoyed drawing or just making lines. This piece of work has quite a few lines and I have not done anything this big since. There are two drawings 16"x22" set side by side and placed in an old wood window frame. The thing I was trying for besides capturing the beauty of these two old houses, is the feel of looking out this "window" and seeing these two houses from across the street.

2 comments:

Butch said...

You probably haven't heard that a 108 year old building caught fire between floors in the Oregon business district Thursday night. It was called Tumbleweed Grill I believe. Considering how old it was and where it started I would have thought it would have been a total loss but it is still standing thanks to the Dayton Fire Dept.

I'm going to tell my daughter about these pictures. You were on here site the other day.

moneythoughts said...

I think I ate in that place back in the 1990s when I worked in Dayton at Society Bank. I loved that old building in the Oregon District, and thought Dayton could have done more to promote it as a destination for tourists. The downtown area was really hurting all those years ago, I can't imagine what it is like now.