Saturday, April 11, 2009

Saturday is For Art



Creating a Work of art:
I have a friend that gives a class for Adult Continuing Education through the University of Cincinnati. The course that he gives dsicusses the process of creating art. Some people may think that in order to create art you have to go to an art supply store and buy a bunch of stuff. Believe it or not, you can create art with the stuff we throw out in the trash. When I was in the U.S. Army, I was stationed in Korea. This was in the mid 1960's. The Korean people showed me how much could be made out of trash. When I came home, I told my friends and family that what we throw out on trash day in America, Korea could build a country. What is my point? Creating art can be seeing the possibility of making something from what might be considered trash. The above piece is made of Styrofoam, cardboard, cereal boxes, newspaper, glue, gesso and finally paint. Yes, you have to buy glue, gesso and paint, but all the other materials can be found for free. I still save cereal boxes and other kind of boxes. Perhaps some day I will start using them again to create a new piece of art. I would like to wish all my followers and those that get lost and find themselves on MONEYTHOUGHTS, a Happy Passover or a Happy Easter or in the situations like mine used to be, both.

No comments: