Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Altarpiece: Another Update

The weather Friday was nice enough to permit me to get my table saw out and do a little cutting. The doors are now attached to the case. One door has molding glued and nailed to the inside (not shown). I need to cut a stop for the 2 doors so they will stay in place when the doors are closed. I might use a very small and thin piece of wood molding to outline the front of the doors to dress them up a bit. Once the wood working is complete, I will remove the doors and take the hinges off and begin the primer. I have addressed some of the cosmetic issues on the outside of the case with wood filler and sanding. I like working with wood, and I have since I was a little boy growing up in Avondale. I used to scrounge around the neighborhood for discarded pieces of wood so I could take them home to build something. Now I am an old man and can get as much wood as I need, but I do not have the energy of that little boy. The construction of the altarpiece is nearly complete. The next stage after the primer coats will be the drawings and making patterns for some of the art work.

Stay tuned.

No comments: