Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Big Short by Michael Lewis

This morning I watched and listened to Michael Lewis on Morning Joe on MSNBC. His best selling book THE BIG SHORT is now available in paperback. I will have to get a copy. Michael Lewis some 25 years ago or more worked for a brief time for Salmon Brothers in London, England on their bond desk. When he wrote LIAR'S POKER, I read it and knew immediately that this is someone who has worked with bonds and the people that work trading bonds on an institutional trading desk. Michael Lewis does not need any help from me, he is an established writer with several well received books. I encourage anyone that is interested in the recent financial crisis of 2007-2008 to read this book.

The Altarpiece: An Update
The Altarpiece is coming along. I have been working on the cosmetics of the case the last few days with wood filler and sanding. Sunday, I got an idea from my son with regards to the altarpiece. At first, I dismissed the idea, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. I think I am going to go with it. It will mean more work, but the kind of work I love to do, so this project, as I have said before, changes with time. A project that starts out as just a sketch on a piece of paper evolves as it takes form. Those of you who have read a little art history or articles about artists know that paintings get reworked right on the canvas many many times. In fact, one of the ways that an original piece can be detected with the use of x-ray is the many changes that were made by the painter on his way to the final version.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I listened to an interview with him on the Bob Edwards Show on Monday after noon. It was an 'Encore Performance". However, he was on the next program on PRI, Tom Ashbrook's "On Point", and he further explained some of his book.

He, like you, knows his 'shit'. I'm going to buy the book as soon as we shovel out to ht\\the point that I can get to the bookstore.