Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday Is For Art



I have not decided what pieces I will post today, so I will just reach into my bag and pull out a couple. I hope everyone had a good week. We all know one Gov. that did not. The nice thing about the weekend is the markets are closed, so we can give it a rest. I love to visit art museums and I visited mine, the Cincinnati Art Museum this week and saw a show (3 self-portraits) of Rembrandt's work. Take some time and visit an art museum near you, I bet you will enjoy it.

These two paintings are from The Envelope Collection, as they are painted on 12" by 9" black envelopes. The top painting is titled Level Playing Field Out The Window. The painting below is another level playing field piece that I used in a collage which I will show later.

4 comments:

Kathryn Brimblecombe-Fox said...

Hi Fred,

I love the double play on the title 'Level Playing Field Out The Window'...ie: 1. the view is literally out of/from the window-
2. and/or the level playing field ideal has been chucked out the window. This work is interesting because once the viewer is distanced from the scene perspective has a chance to work. I mean both spatially and metaphorically. I have 'talked' about perspective in my blog and I think art is a magnificent way to show people an experience of looking at something or themselves from a different or longer scoped perspective. I think the very rugged and pointed mountain range in the background of the painting clearly shows that the level playing field does not exist...and you can only 'see' this when you have perspective!

I also liked the image you uploaded for the 14 March blog entry. The 'sort of' fading and blurred flag is a strong symbol for questioning what a country stands for, aspires to etc.

I really enjoy reading your economic entries too. I have an interest in the stock market/business/economy and I try to read as much as possible to get a 'perspective' on things!

Hope you are having a great weekend.
Kathryn

WetPaint said...

Good morning, Moneythoughts!

Good series, and a good choice for the ides of March! That second one has a texture to it that welcomes me. And metaphorically, I like how the shadow cuts the line to first base. Did you let the black of the envelope show in the shadow, or is that area opaque? Either way- very nice effect!

Kristine

WetPaint said...

Hi MT!

Hoping to hear from you on the Bear buy. I have lowered my retirement set-aside in the last month, and am paddling fast to get rid of any and all debt- student loans, CC, everything. I think those who will come out unscathed are those who have the least debt. Fot the first time ever, it feels better that we rent. I think it's going to get bad.

But..it's a lovely blustery day, and life is good. Happy Monday!

Kristine

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I always love seeing the art of others and what they have to say. I can definitely tell that your work interest has an influence on your art just as mine does.

Life is wonderful... keep making art.