Saturday, March 1, 2008





The first two paintings that I have posted for today are among my first paintings. I started painting in 1988 and have over the years continued to put out a few pieces every so often. These two paintings are painted on Masonite board in oil and enamel paint. I don’t remember exactly what I was trying for, except to say, I wanted the flags in both paintings to come off the canvas so to speak. They are the result of sketches I made probably on the back of some business envelope during some meeting or while I was talking on the phone. The first piece is four foot square, 48”x 48”, and titled American Flag Makes The Scene, 1988-89. The second painting measures three feet by four feet, 36”x 48”, and is named Untitled For Now, 1991.

The last two paintings are painted on 13”x 10” black envelopes. When I was working for the State of Ohio, I received investment reports every month. One company in NYC, Daruma Asset Management sent their reports in a black envelope with a nice texture. I liked them and started saving them, and then later I would draw on them and even paint on them with acrylics. Each has its title at the top of the piece. One is TARGET, and the other CHECKERED.

These four paintings represent early work, 1988 to 1991, and work I painted last year in 2007.

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hi, What a surprise to get your comment. Thanks so much for your thoughts. I have just started working in acrylics and love them. My recent paintings are from a trip I took with my son. We went to Utah on his BMW motorcycle. We did the southwest edge of Utah. We drove to Hanksville and left his trailer there. We left Hanksville and our trip was a trip of a lifetime. I am enjoying working from photos I took on this trip.
I really like your work, the bleeding flag is how I feel about the US and the war Bush has gotten us into. I know you did this in the 70's but it is a very timeless painting.keep painting

Jeanne said...

Fred, It is so nice to connect with an artist with the blog. All the comments are from my daughters blogs. Many of my artist friends look at the blog and then either call me or write me an email.
I just finished painting for the day. I am happy with it so far. I am stuck on the sky, what color etc. I have tried a soft yellow and I tried a soft blue and neither worked for me. I probably should set it aside and just look at it for a few days. I have two paintings in my head ready to go. I should just get going on another one. Tomorrow we are going to an opening of a very good friend of ours and then when we get back I'll paint.
You have probably read how much snow we have been getting. i feel like we are living in the Alps. The roads are one car wide and snow piled high.
Enjoy art.

WetPaint said...

Hi!

The envelope pieces are great. It would be great if you could paint on the actual reports, and let it show through just a bit. A little synthetic cubist.

William F. Renzulli said...

Fred, I have checked out your blog as soon as I received your first comment on my blog but have not had time to respond until now.

I really like the flag paintings, but I must confess that your comments on the current economy are what have captured my attention. Maybe because I am so uninformed and, until now, have been a bit buffered from it all. But now that I have retired on a fixed income, and rely on my art to make ends meet, all that is going on suddenly take on new meaning and signifcance for me.

Keep up the writing, and the art, and I'm sure you will find a recptive audience. I for one will be a regular reader.

becca said...

Hey- Thanks for checking out my blog. You make me miss painting! I haven't painted anything since the birth of my 2 year old.
I love your bleeding flag- timeless & simple.
Thanks for your thoughts on the ramifications of the current economic situation. While I know what's going on I rarely understand all the possible results or how we got where we are... Interesting to hear an informed & educated voice on economic matters.