Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Today Is Primary Day In Ohio


Yesterday I was the unsuccessful bidder on eBay for a pair of jeans. Now this was not just any pair of blue jeans, this was an unworn (new) pair of Lucky Brand jeans that were made in the U.S.A. about 10 years ago, and are no longer being made. Yes, they were in my size, 36/30. They were #91's, just one number away from my worn out pair of #92's. The model #91, came with a button fly. I set a price that I was willing to pay and I bid it. You might ask, why would a 65 year old man be willing to pay $85, plus another six bucks shipping for a pair of blue jeans? Well, that’s a good question. I live in jeans and a t-shirt. It’s the way I dress. I like my Lucky Brand jeans, but they do not make them the way they used to any more. First, they are not made in the original style or color. Second, they are made outside the U.S.A. You see, the guy, Gene Montesano, that created Lucky Brand became successful, and then sold out to a bigger clothing manufacturer and they then changed what was once a good thing. It is the American disease. Make a great product, become successful, and then sell-out. The new owners take the quality product, move the manufacturing to Mexico and never look back. Profits rule the day.

Unfortunately, this is the story of manufacturing in so much of our country today. Here in Ohio, there are stories of workers unbolting their machinery so that it could be shipped, with their job, overseas. The culture of the United States is make a buck, screw any responsibility to the worker who has worked for your company.

When I studied history, there were a number of different angles you could approach learning about a country. I was always more interested in pursuing a process that involved examining the culture for clues about the true nature of a people, and thus have an understanding of the actions or inaction taken at critical points in time. The culture in the U.S.A. is the culture of the Almighty Dollar. Money rules. We see it in our economy and we see it in our government. Money buys access and money buys influence and money moves people to act, and to vote.

Today is primary day in Ohio, Texas, Vermont and Rhode Island. Many people are going to the polls to vote for change. That has been the word of the season. But, to the old man that has studied and read a lot of history, change occurs slowly and over time. There is one technological factor that has changed the political equation and that is the Internet. Just as electronics added a faster dimension to the trading of securities and the movement of financial markets around the world, so can the Internet change the political landscape of the United States. Change can and does occur, but it is brought on the wings of hope for a better tomorrow.

I have had my say today, now it is time for me to go vote. We can change the way business is done in Washington. The Internet just might be the catalyst that makes that change possible. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

WetPaint said...

Hi Moneythoughts!

I am stupified as to why companies would have the discarded employees unbolt the equipmet. I would be worried about disgruntled sabotaging.

I know what you mean about the jeans, When I find a basic pair of shoes I like, that is also cheap, I buy several and store them. Of course, this means I stick to basic styles. But life is simpler that way anyway. And then I don't have to worry about shoes for 3-5 years!

I was an underwear division head at Gitano early in my career. (Aside: my degree at Pratt was in fashion design- I have never taken a painting class- just dated painters) It was taken for granted that the specs may be the same, but the fit of the garments would be entirely different depending on what country made them. We had wide variable tolerances for our quality checks. I always try on everything- even if it is the same brand, same size as last time. It can even vary color to color.

Change- I was out with a friend last night and we talked about what we feel is an impending crisis the likes of the depression. One election time is not enought to fix it, for sure, but it's a critical election none-the-less. The FDIC recently posted new guidelines for bank failures. I think they are gearing up.

Unknown said...

It is a false hope we give ourselves every four years. That somehow, things will be different. People don't realize and understand that the leadership changes, but the bureaucracy does not. There is a lot of inertia in D.C. - and there is little hope of change unless, along with the politicians, you change the bureaucrats, as well.

WetPaint said...

Hi Moneythoughts!

I definitely got your point- you are always clear. I tend to tangent.

BTW, I had you pegged for 57. You look great.

I would love to her your thoughts on the credit card nonsense- Bank of America jumping to 28%- that kind of thing. I honestly think that with the new bankruptcy laws, that we will have a whole generation that will become indentured servants to credit companies. Psychological debtors prison. Maybe a future blog?

The painting for this entry is great.

-Kristine

moneythoughts said...

Hi Wetpaint,

Credit cards, if used correctly, are a good thing to have. The problem, as we all know, is that people abuse them and then suffer by paying huge interest costs. I think everyday finance should be taught in school. People don't know how to use credit (cards). If you need clothes for a new job or your job requires you to drive and you need to buy a new set of tires, I can see putting these types of expenses on a credit card because they permit you to keep working. They are what I would call a capital improvement or investment. But running up credit card debt on just everyday items is poor financial management. I pay off my credit card every month, I never pay any interest. If I need to make a capital improvement or repair that is major, I use a home equity loan. The interest is tax deductible, and almost always a lower rate of interest. The credit card companies contribute to the national politicians and thus have access and influence the way the laws are written. When was the last time your Congressional representative called you to ask your opinion on anything. The banks have PACs and believe me I know they work, and I have seen them work.

That flag I posted on Primary Day in Ohio is a print of an original piece I gave to a hospice charity.
Glad you like it.

Fred