Saturday, March 29, 2008

Saturday Is For Art




It is Saturday morning and the markets are closed. For some people that doesn't mean anything, life is all about making money. You know, the person with the most and most expensive toys wins! But for many of us that work to live and not live to work, Saturday is a day for art.

Today, I am going to post some drawings I did back in the early to mid 1990s. At that time, I was a member of the Cincinnati Art Club. Every Thursday evening I would drive over to the club in Mt. Adams for the sketch group. Drawing the human body is not easy for many of us mortals. There have been people born with a gift to be able to put on paper with a pencil what they see with little or no training. I am not one of those people. For me, drawing the human figure was the hardest work I did on Thursdays. I went faithfully every Thursday and worked on my ability to observe, to draw what was there before me, not what I thought was there before me. Those of you who have drawn the human figure will understand what I mean. Even in drawing, we enter with certain preconceived ideas about what we are seeing. Here are three pencil drawings from my days with the sketch group. It was good training for the eye-mind-hand relationship, and helped me with other drawings much less difficult. These are female nude figures.

6 comments:

AX said...

Fred, appreciate you blogging in...looks like our paths cross on several interest points. Investing, Jewish history, fellow Ohian (Cleveland) and art. My aunt is actually a pretty famous sculptor whose work has been in the Guggenheim and MOMA.

Your knowledge of the economy is obviously more expansive than mine as I have tried to focus on those points that influence my current and future investments. Living in S. Florida, I have some unique insights into the housing crunch as well.

I'm sure my readers would appreciate commentary from someone with your financial background. I hope you will continue to visit.

moneythoughts said...

AX,

Who is your aunt? I have a few readers that are painters and artists, and might like to know about her.

Thanks for your nice comments.

Fred

AX said...

Thanks, Fred. My aunt is Nancy Grossman, here's a link to some of her work...

http://www.michaelrosenfeldart.com/artists/artists_represented.php?m=history&i=3

Would be happy to refer your blog if you'll do the same. Ax

said...

Hey Fred,
I just took the family down to the the Cleveland Museum of Natural History...Cleveland Art Institute...and the Cleveland Art Museum will visits on another date.

I have been hitting Ax's blog for a while, and have started my own. I would welcome you stopping by and checking out my blog as well. Have a great day!

BD

Xerxes said...

From Xerxes at Verbumlogos. I love your blog. You are far too kind, however about mine. Most everything that I post is derived from published sources of wiser, more skilled persons than I. I started the whole business largely as a sort of catalogue of pieces that I liked and that I wanted to preserve a method of returning to them.

Keep up your lovely work.

Unknown said...

Fred, I'm back from England and ready to rock and roll. Today the Prez announces his 'sweeping' regulatory changes for the financial community. I would REALLY be interested in your take on the new regs.

BTW, your sketches are OUTSTANDING - but your photography may need some work.