Monday, October 24, 2011

Infotainment?


Infotainment
television programming that presents information (such as news) in a way that is meant to be entertaining

Infotainment is my new word for today. Everyday I receive an email with a word and its definition. Some of the words I already know, and some are completely new to me. But, this word infotainment is one of those new words that brings together two old words information and entertainment. So now we have something called infotainment, and that pretty much sums up many peoples' opinion of TV news. Some have even referred to it as sugarcoated news. Now FOX news is a whole different story. To be completely honest, I don't watch FOX news. The little bits and pieces that I see from time to time leaves me with the idea that primary and secondary sources of information, and opinions in the studio, are one in the same.

Now this infotainment word I think could be used also to describe some of my political satire artwork. Given my limited artistic abilities, my artwork that is suppose to carry a message and at the same time be atheistically pleasing perhaps falls short. While I give it my best effort, my limited ability to take an idea in my head and put it on paper or canvas sometimes does not live up to my expectations. But, I just chalk those up and move on to the next idea. Not every idea for a piece of political satire strikes a cord with people. And, since I have had a ringing in my ears for the last 30 years, my perception of what is good political satire may be off key to some people. I am definitely in a liberal key, but I would like to think that the key that resonants with me most is the key of justice. Justice for all people, not just the wealthy and well connected.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're singing to the choir, here, Fred. I like your tune just fine.

moneythoughts said...

Thanks Lou! Because I have a hard head and a few people, like you, like my political satire paintings, I continue to make them.

Butch said...

I just noticed this word popping up all over the place. I guess I could consider some of my information feeds entertaining. Thus we can now call 60 Minutes a infotainment program instead of a "news magazine".