Saturday, October 22, 2011

Saturday Is For Art: Butterflies, A Heart & Superman




A few words about making art.

First, I am not a trained artist. Painting is something I wanted to do, so I went to the public library and got books about painting and read them. At first I painted in oil, but that requires too much work when cleaning up, and oils take much longer to dry. Acrylics clean up with a little soap and water and they dry much quicker than oils. So, because of convenience, I decided to paint in acrylics for now. Maybe someday I will go back and paint in oils, but I haven't seen the need to as I like to paint on envelopes and acrylics work better when painting on paper. Twenty years ago I painted a series of 6 postage stamps on large pieces of paper (30x22) in oil, but I first had to cover both sides of the paper with gesso so the oil paint would not eat the paper fiber. Today, that seems like a lot work.

Second, I paint because I have something I want to say. I wasn't interested in painting the so called "pretty picture" for over the sofa. My interest in politics, economics and whatever else interests me has been the subject matter for my paintings. I have used symbols repeatedly in my paintings and I call them my icons. I have even painted my own icons. Some people like my paintings and others don't care for them. But, this is what I do. I try to paint what is on my mind.

The 3 paintings today I have done recently. Obama As Superman is now complete. I have already written a little about this piece in earlier postings (see below). The 6 butterflies are painted on a small envelope in acrylics. The Black heart & Butterfly is painted on a larger envelope in acrylics.

Have a nice and safe weekend.

No comments: