Friday, May 16, 2008

The Film Was Better

A film about an incompetent administration is one thing, living with an incompetent administration is another. I am reminded of the Russian humor during the days of the Soviet Union. In one joke, one Russian worker is complaining to a fellow worker that the state does not pay them enough for what they do. The fellow worker replies, what difference does it make, there is nothing to buy with the money they pay us anyway. Here in America, the tables are reversed. There is plenty to buy, just the prices are so high that workers can not afford to buy everything they need. People are being forced to make tough choices. For some, the choices are even painful. Medicine or food for the elderly, gas or food for the family, these are the choices American families are struggling with in 2008.

Gas prices are up for the tenth straight day and the national average is $3.78 a gallon. In ten states, gas prices have reached $4 a gallon or better. The President is unmoved by the sudden rise in prices, nor does he believe that the policies of his administration have anything to do with the situation in which we find ourselves. His latest remarks, which I heard on TV, stated that the problem was because we did not allow more drilling, or that an oil refinery has not been built in the U.S. since 1976. Both of these statements are true. But, unfortunately that is only part of the reason for soaring gas prices.

The Congress has been working on a new bill to keep more families from losing their homes. However, the President said he will veto any bill designed to help borrowers if it does not meet his requirements. Interesting that in the Senate, both political parties are working on the same bill to help families hold onto their homes despite the President’s warning of a veto. A compromise bill will no doubt reach both floors of Congress before too long. I would not be surprised if the bill was passed over the President’s veto. Members of his party must stand for reelection in November, while he is finished with his second term, others are trying to hold onto their seat. The prospects this fall do not look good for the GOP.

People are hurting and the administration stands pat. I think of it more as sitting on their hands. Ronald Reagan once asked Americans if they were better off now than they were four years ago. That was 1980 and the end of the Carter administration. Another incompetent administration in my opinion. Carter never understood that money was a commodity. He too had some good people around him, but did not have enough sense to listen to them. The second President Bush will be remembered for one of the most pitifully run administrations in American History. That is another opinion.

When the campaign for the next president gets under way this fall, perhaps every American should ask themselves, “am I better off now than I was four years ago?” I think that is a fair question people should be asking themselves. Economics alone did not produce the situation that most Americans find themselves in today. Some problems people brought on themselves, but for the vast majority of Americans that made the right choices, only to have poor policies undermine their efforts to be responsible citizens, a change in administration and a change in fiscal policy is long over due. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Cecelia said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. The Barbara that I mention from time to time is my younger sister. She has always been into sports and retired as a coach/PE/English teacher, and has now taken up painting, along with her tennis activities. I find it interesting because she always told my mother and me that we should get out and do something, instead of spending time on our art work! Now, she is very involved with her painting, and really enjoys plein aire work.
The economic situation gets more unsettling each day. I think of Germany with its rising prices and the Depression. I know that my dad had a heart attack and died, back in the 80s, because he was so worried about what was going to happen to Social Security. I said that I was not going to let myself worry that much about finances. But I can surely understand him better, these days. It's really hard to understand what has happened in a fairly short time, that has taken us to where it is impossible for people to pay for things like health care and medicine, groceries, gas, a home to live in, etc. And, above all, the solution that anyone can bring about to return us to more stable times.
I don't trust any of our candidates to be able to actually do anything to bring strength and stability back to this country. They just don't seem to get what is needed. I don't agree with McCain on some things, especially after I saw him speak here. But, I think he is the only one who has an interest or insight into making the country secure. And he has softened his position on some things like illegals. Maybe there is hope that he will still see the light, so to speak. Economics is important, but so is strength.
Your blog has some interesting insights. Thanks for sharing them.
I'll look for your art work. It's interesting that you have a schedule for your blog. After I retired, schedules went out the window! I guess I really didn't have a very good schedule while I was still working, either-excpet for those that the school district imposed. I just dreamed of having a little place in the woods, where I could write and do art work, whenever I felt like it, and I guess that is what I am doing now.

Cecelia said...

I meant to add that, the way that I found your blog was from a comment that you made on Arlington, Texas artist Nancy Standlee's blog. I just clicked on your name and it took me to your blog.

winslow said...

What I continue to find amazing is that the only candidates to lead the country, have no connection to the average middle-class citizen.
If I didn't have to worry about inflation, health-care, job security, social security, children's education and cost, retirement, etc, etc....then
I suppose I would also say things aren't that bad and we live in a great country(how great to be a politician and not have to worry about everyday "stuff").
I long for the day when any law proposed has to pass this test: "how will this benefit the average American"

moneythoughts said...

First, let me thank you for your comments. I enjoy reading them and I am sure other readers do to.

Personally, I think we are on track for what I would call a "Glorious and Bloodless Revolution", much like our English cousins had several hundred years ago. What do I mean by this? I think TV has its place, as does cable news, but the Internet and the blogs will give people an opportunity to put ideas out there in the market place of ideas like no other time in our history. While we may disagree about politics, the strength of sound economic reasoning, I believe will eventually carry the day. Once people get the economics right, then they can choose what policy they want to follow and vote for. The security of the nation is something each person has to make a judgment for themselves. But, I hope people will not be driven by fear. Personally, I am tired of people comparing every little dictator to Hitler. Let's raise the level of discourse. We need to hang onto a number of professions and skills in this country. To me, it is just a matter of common sense. A country needs to hedge itself, just like a well run portfolio, against the day when we might need to produce something for our own survival or defense. We, as a nation, dropped the ball on oil a long time ago. We were put on notice in 1973, and since then, we have done little if anything to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. This dependency has influenced our foreign policy and taken us to two wars in the gulf. Israel is building electric cars, and because they are a small country with no oil, they may well be the first country to drive around on electric. We need to change the economics of oil and thus the economics of energy for the United States. Doing this one thing will change our economy and free us from OPEC. Right now, we dance to their tune, and it is an expensive one to listen to.

I have great faith in the basic decency of the majority of the American people. We will find a way.

Vikki North said...

I think one of the saddest things that we’re going to see with ‘the cost of living’ crisis is in regards to baby boomer generation. They’re coming into retirement age right now.
World News frequently does segments on this topic. It’s indisputable that the majority doesn’t have retirement fund or plan and the cost of living keeps on going up.

My parents died when I was quite young. I was left with zip. So, the realization I was on my own and needed to make plans for my life and retirement came early. I am 57 and now retired. But, I also had the great fortune of a career and commensurate salary where I could do that. The majority of this nation doesn’t have that blessing, by no fault of their own. What’s going to happen to them when they can no longer work? Social Security isn’t going to be enough.