Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Sub-Prime Mortgage Meltdown

The other day I read where Warren Buffett blames the sub-prime mortgage crisis on the banks that made the loans in the first place. Actually, there are quite a few people, organizations and firms that could claim some of the responsibility for the sub-prime mortgage crisis. The banks and the mortgage originators is a good place to start. But, like all good money stories, the way to uncover the whole story is to follow the money (trail). As an amateur historian of sorts, I would just like to point out that there are usually several factors that comprise an historical event involving so many people as the sub-prime mortgage meltdown. So, if we are going to make a serious examination of the facts that lead up to the sub-prime mortgage meltdown, we really should broaden our research beyond the banks and the mortgage originators. Mono-causation when it comes to writing the history of the sub-prime mortgage meltdown will hardly win us any prizes. Let me state at the beginning that I admire and respect Warren Buffett. But on this issue, I feel there are many more players with responsibility than simply the banks and the people that made the mortgages.

But, before we look at all that, let us take a step back and ask a question: who is officiating this game? You think you know where I am going? Yes, let’s take a look at our central bank, the Fed. The Fed, in my humble opinion, should have blown the whistle before the game got out of control. It would have been nice if Congress would have taken some action, but, again in my humble opinion, Congress is usually a day late a dollar short when it comes to regulatory action. The Fed on the other hand, being an independent body, could have taken control of the game from the beginning and blown the whistle when they first saw shoddy play. Unfortunately, the Chairman of the Fed, at the time that the mortgage game got started and really started to heat up, was Alan Greenspan.

Former Chairman Greenspan is of the philosophical point of view that the referee should put his whistle in his pocket and let the players play. Only under extreme situations should the Fed resort to pulling the whistle out of their pocket and calling a foul. So, the mortgage game went on for many years, without anyone officiating and that eventually lead to the game getting out of control. By the time Chairman Bernanke replaced Chairman Greenspan the game was very much out of control and the clock was running down. Within months of his start at the Fed, Chairman Bernanke was to find the sub-prime mortgage game about ready to collapse in on itself.

What I find hard to accept, is the fact that the Fed and the government will be willing to pull solutions to big problems out of you know where, but they will not act when it is the little guy’s butt that is on the line. Everyone with an ounce of brains now says that people were given and encouraged to take mortgages that they had no business getting themselves into in the first place. Where was the oversight?

The number of subprime mortgages that were made was totally out of control and I place some of the blame squarely at the feet of the Federal Reserve Bank. Only when Bear Stearns appears to be going down the tube, and the consequences of such a disaster for Wall Street and the country too big to bear, did the Fed step up to the plate and take control of the situation. My question remains: Why does it take a major brokerage firm to hit the rocks before the Fed moves into action?

So, getting back to Warren Buffett and his assessment of the subprime mortgage debacle, there are plenty of characters at various stages of the process that hold some responsibility for the mortgage meltdown. The question that we all should be asking is: What steps are being taken to prevent another mortgage meltdown from occurring again?

Congress should have provided some oversight as well. The problem with Congress is that they take campaign contribution from Bank PACs. Political Action Committees lobby Congress so Congress will not only not blow the whistle, but will not buy themselves a whistle to blow in the first place. We once had a Glass-Stegal Act, but that disappeared. Well, it did not disappear like a missing person disappears, the act was dismantled by Congress.

Let me make it clear, I am not against mortgaged-backed bonds. Mortgage-backed bonds, like other asset-backed bonds, have a very legitimate place in the world of finance and investing. But like any good car on the road today, besides having safety glass the car has seat belts and airbags. The securities industry needs to redesign asset-backed bonds so that the fatalities are kept to a minimum. And, the redesigning can start with our independent Federal Reserve Bank setting the ground rules. Since the Fed stepped in when the Bear Stearns bankruptcy was about to occur, I think the Fed has earned the right to step in now and redesign the future of mortgage-backed bonds. There are several good ideas floating about that deal with the mortgage originators holding on to a piece of the action so they have their feet to the fire and skin in the game.

If I was going to stop being an amateur historian for a minute, the group that I would gang up on would be the rating agencies. The way I see it, without the rating agencies going along and giving the mortgage bonds their AAA rating, none of this would have ever gotten off the ground. The rating agencies’ AAA rating, in my opinion, was the equivalent of Underwriters Laboratory (UL) approval. Without that approval, no portfolio manager worth his salt was going to plug into unrated mortgage-backed bonds without knowing full well the inherent risk with such a move. Placing the responsibility for the rating disaster at the feet of the rating agencies is only one piece of the puzzle. Ascribing the entire meltdown to the rating agencies, while I think they had a big hand in it, is scapegoating, and that is not good history or a careful analysis of all the facts.

The brokerage firms that brought the bonds to the rating agencies in the first place, knew that they were carrying a corpse. They, the brokerage firms, needed to have more skin in the game from the get go too. Would that have moderated their enthusiasm? Perhaps. The thing to remember about the sub-prime mortgage meltdown is that it was too big to lay at the feet of any one group. This disaster was not an orphan, the sub-prime mortgage crisis had many fathers. Stay Tuned.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The whole problem is - where does the buck stop? Harry T said "The buck stops here." There hasn't been another politician with the balls to say that since. And as long as all of the fingerpointing goes on, nobody HAS to.

p.s. Great comment on my post from yesterday. That's the first I've seen of your sense of humor .. it made me laugh.

moneythoughts said...

Lou,

There is humor in everything I write. You have been reading my blog for several weeks and there is humor in my blog almost every day.

You are right on the money about someone taking responsibility for the sub-prime mortgage mess. I just thought Mr. Buffett's opinion was not good history. This mess, as I said, had several people, organizations and firms involved. All in pursuit of the easy buck.

Did I tell you how much I enjoy tracking to see who is reading my blog. This has increased my enjoyment, and again I thank you.

Fred
P.S. I wish more people would list my link on their blog, hopefully in time this will happen.

Vikki North said...

Hey Fred,
It's me, the Trouble-maker leaving you a note: I agree with all points made and you are certainly the expert in this area.
But, -I saw a segment on TV (Dateline?) this weekend. A family acquired an adjustable mortgage: nothing down and payments started at $2000+ a month, within their affordable budget. Knowing full well this rate could/would change, a few years later their payments had now risen to over $4k a month. Their home was going into foreclosure. They were screaming foul. “Help us. Poor us! We’ve been taken advantage of. Give us a pass!” (Now note: both husband and wife were employed –no job loss involved)

The commentator, looking at their loan papers, even asked, “Didn’t you read this? Didn’t you understand this could happen?”

The guy set with his mouth ajar. Of course he didn’t read it, even post the fact. He said, “I always wanted a great big house.”

Is ignorance an acceptable excuse and pass from responsibility for our own actions as people?

Vikki

moneythoughts said...

Hi Vikki,

I think I caught a piece of that program too. Not much you can do for a person that can't read or won't read. But, they should have been shown the downside of an adjustable rate mortgage explained to them. (It might have not done any good, but I think they should have been cautioned against an adjustable rate mortgage.) The problem, as I see it, is that once the mortgage was sold, the originator of the mortgage had no skin in the game. Thus, his feet were not in the fire. The problem mortgages got passed on and eventually the house of cards caved when some of the mortgage-backed bonds could not fetch a bid. That is about the time everyone holding that hand made their move for the door. Markets operate when there are buyers and sellers. When there are only sellers, things stop. Now what? Pray? Get the picture?

K.C. said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. Very kind.

I would like to comment a little on this blog. I am not in this business, but I have to put my one cent in since I don't have enough sense to put in two cents.:)

I do believe I have to go with redchair on this one and have to put a little blame on the consumers themselves. I do believe that there were SOME mortgage guys out there that did try to warn them... but... they just weren't listening.

I have a lot to say, but since I am not in the business, I am afraid that maybe my opinion doesn't hold enough water. I am focusing on the mess we made, and determined to deal with it the right way this time. And hoping that others will follow our example--if we do it right.

moneythoughts said...

Try to buy a Porsche with no money down and see what happens. I bet they don't let you drive it off the lot. Until someone pays for the that Porsche, it is not going anywhere. Don't you think a several hundred thousand dollar house should be as difficult to buy as a Porsche? Warren Buffett is right about the banks and the mortgage loan originators, but it took a cast of thousands to create a crisis of the proportions of the mortgage meltdown.

Vikki North said...

Troublemaker back! I bought a brand new Jaguar XJ8 four years ago. I wanted to pay cash, because I’m retired and plan to keep the car for long time. I can't do payments anymore. They did everything in their power to get me to lease it with ’no money down’. They said. I could drive off the lot. Of course with their ‘free’ lease, in the end I would have paid substantially more.

Nothing comes for free in this world. Until people start taking personal responsibility for their decision and actions, rather blaming everyone and everything else, no laws are going to change. No one is going to listen.
Example:
I trained a visual efx artist. He sure wanted the job but never put in the time to learn like others I trained. I even wrote a complete manual for my trainees. He never read it. On his first project, he screwed it up pretty bad. His response was, “Vikki never explained it to me. It’s her fault. I didn’t understand.” My employer fired him.

We have to take responsibility. This is a free enterprise society. We can have anything we want if we’re willing to learn and work for it.

Like Lou’s Harry Truman’s quote, “The buck stops here.” Where is here? At our own feet.

Vikki

moneythoughts said...

There is nothing wrong with paying cash, a lot of people do it. But, if you want to take advantage of the system, you don't pay cash. You check out interest rates for a 1 year or longer period. Then you check out the rate on a home equity loan. Did you know that the interest on a home equity loan is deductible? So, let's say you borrow on the home equity loan and deduct the interest cost from your taxes, and at the same time you find an investment that will make borrowing on the home equity loan a good idea (positive spread). It does not always work and it depends a lot on your willingness to take risk.

Fred