Friday, May 23, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend 2008


The above photograph is a joint venture. I took pictures and I asked my friend Lou to pick the one he liked the best. The photograph is from the front of my house. In that this is the beginning of the Memorial Day weekend, I thought I would start with this picture this morning.

Next year at this time, we will have a new president and a new congress. It is hard for me to believe that much change will occur in one year. We all know that big changes take time to take place. Government is said to move at a glacial pace, but given the fact the glaciers are disappearing at a faster pace because of global warming, perhaps the pace of government, if we are lucky, may speed up too.

Despite all the good things to be thankful for as we take a moment to remember all the men and women that died serving our country this Memorial Day, we should not lose sight of the fact that their sacrifice is not the end, but the beginning for the rest of us to fight on.

Social justice in society is not the default setting, it must be worked for. The vast majority of Americans want a government that will at the very least not harm them, and at the best prepare the way so that every individual has the opportunity to exercise their right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

We have a great and good country, but the direction our country takes in the near future must include the welfare of more than the wealthy and well connected. Most of the men and women that gave their live for this country did not come from the wealthy or well connected class of society. There is still much to be done to return government to the people and for the people before our days are done.

I would like to wish all of my friends and readers of MoneyThoughts a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend. Stay Tuned.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am reminded of a song lyric by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young -

"Find the cost of Freedom
buried in the ground"

I think of you, my lost brothers. Were it MY choice, I would vow that no others join you, but through old age or infirmity. Were it my choice ....

Vikki North said...

Fred- Beautiful Photo for Memorial Day!

My Dad was a ‘life-er’ in the Air Force. (I never knew anything but service life growing up) When he joined the service it was the Army/Air Core. So he saw WWII onward.

He was a pilot to start and shot up in rank over 30 years. He spent two years in the Pentagon. His last tour was Viet Nam. He was a full bird Colonel and the commander of Saigon AFB for a year.

After that year, and the Viet Nam experience, he requested retirement at the age of 50. He died 3 years later (1973).

My mother insisted he be buried in their hometown, of Dumas, Arkansas. No match for my mother’s will, the Air Force came to Dumas and put on a full military honors funeral for Dad.

Lou- My Dad is, and will always be-the love of my life.

Vikki

K.C. said...

Your flowers are beautiful. I wish that I had the knack to do so. Your entry was beautiful in honor of Memorial Day. KC