Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturday Is For Art




It is a wet day in Cincinnati, and a perfect day to visit the Cincinnati Art Museum (CAM), or the Contemporary Arts Center (CAC), or the Taft Museum. There is even the Cincinnati Museum Center (CMC) at the old Union Train Station in the West End at the end of Ezzard Charles Drive. The CAC and the CMC sell a t-shirt I created over 25 years ago and have been selling again since I retired. The Ski Cincinnati t-shirt is a little humor as there is no skiing in Cincinnati.

The three paintings today are Mother and Child: An American Icon; Mother and Child: Level Playing Field Out the Window and Level Playing Field Out The Window. The top piece was painted on board in oil and with the wood frame (which I made) measures 72" by 48". The wood frame is covered in gold metal leaf (not gold leaf). Gold leaf would have cost a small fortune to cover that frame even in the early 1990's. The second painting is on wood in oil and I made the frame. The third painting is on an envelope and is painted with acrylic paint.

3 comments:

North County Film Club said...

I love your "Mother and Child, An American Icon". It's beautiful.
Barbara

North County Film Club said...

Hi Fred, Maybe you noticed that I got stuck in the real estate bubble. My sister and I have a business producing art and craft books. We invested in real estate and were doing quite well until this year (of course). We had planned to retire this year. Now we're stuck with two houses with sort of bad loans. We have a couple of others that make a little profit and we have some stocks. As you might have read on my blog we were forced to sell a house at a loss. I didn't mean to cry on your shoulder but I guess I am. Sorry! Do you think a real depression is coming?
I'm enjoying your MoneyThoughts. Maybe "enjoy" isn't the right word. I have made my living with art all my life and would like to start doing it for pleasure. I like collage and water color.
Barbara

moneythoughts said...

Hi Barbara,

Check your comments from May 4, I left a few suggestions for you.