Monday, May 4, 2009

Fight Breast Cancer With A Donation


This morning I am going depart from my usual ranting about the economy, the markets, and how the politicians are in the pockets of Wall Street’s greedy bastards, and make my own plea for money.

Here in Cincinnati, we have a bike ride, a single day event the kind of bike ride you pedal yourself, that is called RIDE CINCINNATI. This bike ride was started for the purpose of raising money for BREAST CANCER RESEARCH at the Barrett Cancer Center of the University of Cincinnati. The man that started this ride, Dr. Harvey Harris, lost his wife to breast cancer after a 15 year battle. I knew his wife as I went to high school with both of them in the 1950’s. She was a lovely person.

I rode the first year the ride took place in 2007, and the second year 2008. This year I decided to try and do more than just do the ride and pay my entrance fee. I thought that I would form a team on one, myself and try and get people to donate to this important cause. With more money, there can be more research and hopefully some day we can eliminate breast cancer.

So far I have raised $220, that is 44% of my goal to raise $500. The ride date is Sunday June 14, 2009, and I will be out there. You do not have to be from Cincinnati to donate, as you can donate on-line directly to my team. Here is how you can donate to RIDE CINCINNATI. Google RIDE CINCINNATI, then go to DONATIONS. My team name is FRED ZIGLER and my code is 215716.

Breast cancer can attack both men and women, though it is more of a problem for women. Cincinnati has a great past when it comes to fighting disease as the live Polio vaccine was discovered in Cincinnati by Dr. Albert Sabin back in the 1950s. I hope everyone will give what they can. Thank you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Breast cancer is more PREVALENT in women, but not more of a problem. Breast cancer in men is more often FATAL, because it is usually found much later in the progress of the disease, when it is too late.

Men should do self exams, too. If if you find that a bit embarrassing(?), the get your wife to do it - and if she won't, then ask your girlfriend.

But get it done.

moneythoughts said...

Lou, I did a 27 mile bike ride Monday afternoon. I am getting this old body back into shape. I even treated myself to a new pair of biker sunglasses that match my helmet.