Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday Is For Art




Drawing from live models is quite a challenge, at least it was for me, and if I tired it again I know it would still be. Drawing from a picture where you can copy what you see is much easier as you have the photograph and its points of reference right before you. When you are drawing a live person before you, you, the artist, must establish what you are going to put on the page. Believe me, it is a whole different ball game, much much more difficult. These three sketches were done before 1996, and at the time, I thought they were good enough to frame. If you think these are bad, you should see the really bad ones. Drawing, for me, takes concentration. You are so busy getting the proportions right, head, arms, legs, and the angle of the body that the fact that you are drawing a nude figure does not even register. Painting for me starts with a good sketch, and I am grateful for the opportunity to develop my limited abilities in the 1990s. Perhaps some day I might return to sketching again, as it certainly makes you use your brain to see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good drawing is the basis for good art. I have not yet attempted drawing (or painting) figures from life. One of these days, though ...

moneythoughts said...

I agree with your opening statement, but you will get a lot of people that don't believe that. If you ever do get the chance to draw from a live model, you will see that after the first few seconds of looking at the model, you then are concentrating on your drawing and nothing else.