Saturday, September 5, 2009

Saturday Is For Art



These two paintings of the sunflowers that I grew on the side of my house by the porch are works in progress. That means I am not done with them. The first painting is on a kitchen cabinet door. Jeff, a friend and one of the guys that I have coffee with on Sunday mornings, works in construction and gave me two cabinet doors. My cousin Toby suggested that these two sunflowers are perhaps talking about Van Gogh. Could be, but since I don't speak or understand Sunflowerian, I can't say. The painting below is on MDO plywood that is cut and placed in to an old wood window. I have a few windows that I have gessoed and will use in the sunflower series. These are painted in acrylic. Acrylics dry quickly and all you need is soap and water to clean your brushes.

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable weekend.

2 comments:

Kathryn Brimblecombe-Fox said...

Dear Fred, These sunflower paintings are marvellous. The top one is so beautiful, I can see and feel the movement of the petals.

It is said that a writer should not write a story about a place or happening they are not truly knowledgable about. The same goes for an artist. You obviously got to know those sunflowers growing in your yard, because there is a 'knowing' reflected in both paintings in this post.

By the way...did I miss reading how your entry went in the jurored art show? Any news?

Kathryn

moneythoughts said...

Thanks for the kind remarks about the sunflowers. I took pics and from the pics I put together the compositions and then the paintings.

Yes, one of my paintings got into the juried art show American Spirit 2009. In fact, I drop off the painting tomorrow morning at the gallery. The piece that they chose is titled MOTHER & CHILD: LEVEL PLAYING FIELD OUT THE WINDOW. I did mention that in a earlier post which you might have missed. If you go back in August you will see the painting. If I win a prize, I will mention that too. They picked 40 pieces and one of out 40 isn't bad company. They had over 100 artists enter and each artist could submit 3 pieces for $25.