Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday Is For Art


The above painting, Mother & Child: Level Playing Field Out The Window that is on display in the art show at the Cincinnati Art Galleries did not win any prizes. Getting into the show is prize enough, as my brand of political art is not always greeted by the judges and public so kindly. I have been making paintings dealing with political satire for 20 years now, and while at times I branch out to do something different, like paint fish or flowers, I always come back to doing my political paintings. I plan to do a few more in 2010, but after I finish my series of sunflowers which I am now working. It is now my season for selling my Ski Cincinnati T-shirts and sweat shirts, so I will be splitting my time between making art and selling t-shirts. Anyone interested in buying a Ski Cincinnati t-shirt can check out the locations listed on the Ski Cincinnati blog. These t-shirts make a nice inexpensive gift, and the humor is at no ones expense. Just good clean fun for a t-shirt.

5 comments:

Jientje said...

I think you should just be yourself in your Art Fred. Political art is what you do, and you're good at it. Although I must say I like the sunflowers too.

moneythoughts said...

Yes, I like doing the political art. It comes out of me with little effort, but people don't buy political art and galleries can't sell what people don't buy, so, I am trying to paint pictures, that I like, that I am hoping others will like as well and perhaps like enough to buy. Now that I am a retired investment guy, I am attempting to be a contemporary American artist.

Jientje said...

Well, just look at tit this way. It's not because people do not buy them NOW, that they are not good. Van Gogh did not sell his paintings while he was alive? He did not even know where his next meal would come from? !!
And look at them now!!

Kathryn Brimblecombe-Fox said...

Hi Fred,
Sorry to hear you did not win, but as you said it is a 'win' to have been selected. I do know how you feel! After a winter painting sunflowers I am sure you will be the happiest person around. Nothing like a bright yellow sunflower face to brighten up any cold weather. Having said that, there is a beauty in the dead flowers too and you are harvsting the seeds for a bigger patch next year.

I would think that with some mulling over time, you will return to your political art with all sorts of ideas. No-one can say that politics is not providing fodder for satire!

Cheers,
Kathryn

moneythoughts said...

I know about Van Gogh then and now. Yes, when I am gone my paintings will be looked at, but while I am alive I would like to sell a few pieces too.

Kathryn, after seeing the really good painters that got in the show, I feel very lucky in that one of my paintings was chosen. And, while I always have ideas for political art, I enjoy trying something new too.