Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday: February 7, 2010


Today is Super Bowl Sunday. They say 100 million people will watch the game. I remember the very early games before it grew into the big deal that it is today. There was a time when the football game itself was the main attraction. As the Super Bowl has evolved, the half-time show, the commercials and the pre-pre game talk have taken on lives of their own. The football game, which once was the purpose of it all, has almost been lost. Is this how religions evolve? They start out with a simple message and before you know it, the main message is all but lost.

I have no strong choice for today's Super Bowl. I am a fan of the AFC, formerly the AFL (American Football League), as the Cincinnati Bengals are in the AFC. The Colts have a fine team and are favored to win this game. I think, I like a lot Americans, feel that it would be nice if the City of New Orleans had something nice happen after the devastation of Katrina. I also like to see new teams win and the Saints have never been to a Super Bowl much less won. Perhaps most of all, I hope to see a good clean game with no serious injuries. As they say, let the game begin!

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I just got off the phone with my mom, half of my hometown is still in the dark from the snowstorm. I don't know, they are going to be pretty mad if they miss the Superbowl. Or maybe they don't care too much because Pittsburgh is not in it.

Butch said...

I remember those days too. Bring back the marching bands at half time and stop with the commentary. Why do I want someone to rehash the game I just watched. Football is three things, the game, the bands and cheerleaders. Pros don't have bands but they could. Have a competition of 10 or 12 college bands a day or two before the game and then let the first two highest scoring bands do a halftime show.