Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saturday Is For Art


A few years back, when I was reading The Wall Street Journal everyday, there was an article about Andy Warhol's estate. In the thirty some years I read the Journal, there was not a lot written about art and artists. Naturally, this article caught my eye as I was interested in how the Andy Warhol Foundation and a major art auction house in New York were trying to cheat the executor of Andy's Will out of his rightful fee by undervaluing the art in his estate. Art meets big big money and a conspiracy is hatched. Well, when I got my copy of Art In America, they too had their own article about these events surrounding Andy Warhol's Will and his executor. That did not happen too often, if ever at all before. What I mean is having a story in the Journal and the same story in my art magazine. So, where is all this going? Well, now I read ARTnews. Personally, I like it better than Art In America, but that is my opinion. In the December 2009 issue of ARTnews is an article about the artwork that was picked out for the Obamas' White House. And, can you believe that there are people writing about their picks. First, they only got to pick from a selected group of artworks as many pieces were not available to them from the Smithsonian museums, yet, critics of the Obama administration found room to criticize them for what they hung on the walls of The White House. If anyone is interested in reading this short article it is titled Critics Nix Obamas' Pix Mix by Robin Cembalest, pp 42-43. To what lengths people will go to criticize our first black president, I guess, will never cease to amaze me.

Today's piece I think must be Tribute to Jackie Robinson: Leveling The Playing Field 1947-2007 in acrylic on a black envelope and now in a private collection in Houston, Texas.

Stay tuned.

No comments: