Thursday, July 23, 2009

Health Care & Our Domestic Economy


The present health care system in the United States is like a 90 pound weight around the neck of a 100 pound swimmer, it is pulling everything down. President Obama, in my opinion, made the case last night for health care reform in the United States. If we continue down the present path, we, as a nation, will weaken our domestic economy because of the drag affect that the health care expense is having on our economy. People, as a rule, are fearful of change, but continuing down the present road will leave this nation worse off than adopting some necessary changes.

It gets me when people say the only thing government does right is the military. But, if you look at the military up close, you will see that the military is not perfect either. We have government employees at many levels, from federal to the local village, and by and large all these people take pride in the job they do, so let us get off their backs, and drop the idea that government is the problem. In the United States, the people are the government. After 9-11 we do not hear too much negative talk about fire fighters, do we? Police risk their lives every minute they are on the beat. So, let us put away this crap about bashing federal, state and municipal employees, these men and women make this country work at the governmental level. I worked for the State of Ohio as an investment officer, and I was a member of a team of people that performed with professionalism and did a good job.

There are millions of families losing their health insurance and this is pulling the whole nation down. We need to change course. Even those with good health insurance can find themselves broke and homeless through no fault of their own. The health care system in the United States needs to be changed for the good of her people and for a sounder economy.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Jientje said...

I like reading your views and opinions on American society. And you're right. People hate changes.
And no system is ever perfect, there is always something that can or should be made better.

moneythoughts said...

Jientje,

I was born in the wrong city, Cincinnati, and there are times I think I was born in the wrong country. However, if I had been born in Europe in October, 1942, there is a good chance I may have not survived. Nevertheless, in my next life, I want to be your neighbor. I could be very much at home in your piece of heaven.

Jientje said...

This comment made me smile. I always dream about what I want to do in my next life too. All kinds of things I would have wanted to do, but somehow missed opportunities and never got to do, because life took a different turn. But there is still a lot I AM going to do, preferably in this life. If not, there is always a next? and a next next.... ;-)