Saturday, October 3, 2009

Saturday Is For Art


I have not posted this piece in a while, so, I thought I would throw it up once again. For me creating art does not have to be an expensive proposition. I enjoy working with items that are on their way to the trash and turning them into something nice to look at. I guess that is the way I am wired. I could break off into a philosophical discussion about how a liberal mind works in this artist's old head, but I will save everyone some time and not go into it. People that enjoy making things can find a way of turning almost anything into a work of art. This piece measures 36"x27"x6" and is made of styrofoam, cardboard, cereal boxes, paper mache, glue, gesso and acrylic paint. While I put many hours into this little project, I enjoyed working out the many little details of construction as I was putting it all together. The only plan of instructions was photographs that I took of my inspiration and the rest was in my head. The title of this piece is: Mother & Child: American Icon No. 2.

I hope you all have a nice weekend, and may your team(s) win.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jientje said...

I can't believe you used cereal boxes in this, and yet I can, it is who you are, your art.
I can totally relate to this philosophy of yours to recycle things and make art from it. Make something from nothing, the work of a true Artist.