Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Is For Sunflowers & The Bengals


I will miss the Bengal's game this afternoon as I am working at the Contemporary Arts Center (CAC) downtown all day. The thought of the Bengals going 3-1 for the season will be great for the economy of the city when they return to Paul Brown Stadium. We need to fill the place and bring people into the downtown. This afternoon the Bengals are in Cleveland and the Browns, no matter how poorly their season is going, find a way to upset the men in Orange and Black. Go Bengals!!!

A few years ago while I was working as a gallery attendant at an Opening of an exhibit at the CAC, a man started taking pictures on the fourth floor gallery of one of the exhibits. I approached the man and politely told him that he could not photograph the exhibit. He informed me that he was the artist of the exhibit he was taking pictures. He looked at me as if I should have recognized him as a great artist, but unfortunately I did not. What was the work of art that he was taking a picture? The work of art was three mirrors of different sizes placed in such a way that they could seen, all three, from one perspective. After I told him he could not photograph the exhibit, I realized that I was telling him not to photograph three mirrors. Photographing mirrors is not exactly what I think of when the directive is not to photograph the art. But, then again this is contemporary art, and what do I know about contemporary art when they do it with mirrors?

2 comments:

Jientje said...

I think the idea with the three mirrors is brilliant though. I love reflections myself, whether it's in a mirror on the wall or in a puddle, reflections are always interesting.
Have a great Sunday Fred!

moneythoughts said...

Bengals are NOW 3-1 for the season. My error.

You had to see this Jientje. The 3 mirrors reflected into each other, ( 2 mirrors on one wall and 1 mirror on an opposite wall). There was an accounting joke in my remark about doing it with mirrors.