Saturday, August 22, 2009

Saturday Is For Art



Yesterday I started painting 2 of the 7 pieces that will make up the Sunflower Series. I put together a color chart for this project, but I don't know at this time whether it will be of much help. I bought a few brushes and one more large tube of acrylic paint this week, so, now I think I have everything I need. The Sunflower Series is not going to look like anything I have done before. This is like almost everything I do, an experiment. I am in no hurry to complete this project, as I have as much fun thinking about what I am painting as actually painting it. For those that missed the good news earlier this week, one of my political satire paintings was accepted in a juried art show. The opening is September 12, at the Cincinnati Art Galleries at 225 East Sixth Street. There will be 40 pieces hanging for this show called The American Spirit 2009.

As you can see from the photos of my sunflowers, the end is near for them. I cut down a few that had fallen over and saved the heads for the seeds and perhaps to do some drawings in the winter. They have an interesting shape. Planting the sunflower seeds, watering the plants, photographing them, drawing them from the photos and now painting them has made my summer fly by even faster than usual. But, because of them, I can take my summer in to the fall as I paint them. Summers just go by too fast.

Have a nice weekend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not only do they go by too fast - they go faster every year.

Jientje said...

Yes, Lou is right. Each year they go faster and faster!

Can't you use the sunflower heads as bird feeders? Maybe another idea for paintings? I don't know?
I love following this experiment. Take your time, no hurry.

Kathryn Brimblecombe-Fox said...

Hi Fred,
Congratulations! 12 September...I am sure you will be at the opening full of anticipation...for anything!
I look forward to seeing the sunflower paintngs. i see from teh photos that teh flowers in your garden have fully bloomed and will now dry out. There is a beauty in that as well. And please do keep solving the economic problems of the US!!!

Thanks for your comment on my blog recently. I replied to it with a return comment.
Cheers
Kathryn