Thursday, August 27, 2009

Where Are The Sunflower Paintings?


Normally, I would have posted the two paintings of sunflowers that I am now working, but my camera broke. It is the truth. It is not like the dog ate my homework. Yes, I know I could have borrowed a digital camera or had someone else take a few pics and send them to me to post, but all those ideas take work.

On August 8, I mailed my little Canon Power Shot SD 1100 to Elk Grove Village, IL. I sent the little box first class mail and insured the package. It was a little box, about the size of a pair of sunglasses and the case. In fact, that is exactly what the box was. Well, I hadn't heard anything from the Canon Factory Service Center, so I called them on the 25th. They had not received the package and it was not in their system. Then I called the one eight hundred number on my post office receipt. After a few calls and talking with a computer and getting nowhere, I found out from a friend, that if you hit the zero key you will get a live person to talk to. I spoke to a very friendly woman about my package and found out right then that my little box had been delivered on August 24 at 11:20 am. It had only taken the U.S. Post Office 16 days to get my little box from Cincinnati to Elk Grove Village, IL, just two states west of Ohio where I live. My question to the Post Office was: how can you compete with Fedex and UPS with that kind of service. If and when we get universal health care, I hope the hospitals do not use the Post Office to deliver organs for transplant. A few seconds later, I got an email from the Canon Factory Service Center with a quote for repairs. It was in their system, but they did not know it. Well, the camera was less than one year old since purchase date, so I am hoping they will take care of it for free. If they don't agree with me on this, I may have to go to Japan and discuss it with the CEO of CANON.

So, now you know why I haven't posted any pictures of the two paintings that I am working. When I get my camera back, I will take a few pics and post them.

Stay tuned.

P.S. I heard back from the Canon Factory Service Center this morning, and I will not have to go to Japan.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Fred. I can just SEE you in Japan. And by the way - we have a friend there - and she could translate. Just in case you wind up going.

moneythoughts said...

Lou, I will not have to make that trip as the Service Center sent me an email saying the repairs would not cost me.

winslow said...

I just received a Christmas package yesterday. It's only been 9months. I left a message in my mail box and never got a relpy. I inquired at the P.O. in December, but without a tracking #, they had no idea.

I also ordered merchandise in March, and guess what, it arrived yesterday also.

There was no explanation that came with the packages.

One of the problems with government-run services...they know they hold you by the " " and since you have no choice, the service is careless.
Try going to the typical state motor vehicle division office....

winslow said...

here's another story about the Japanese......
I had a Nissan that was about 3 yrs old. The paint was starting to flake off. I went to the dealer and stated I thought the paint should last longer than the original battery. Since the vehicle was no longer under warranty, they would not cover it. I took pictures (my camera worked ok) and sent photos to the 5 top Nissan executives. I never got a relpy.
Seven months later I traded it for a Ford. At trade-in, the dealer asked if the car had been in a hail storm!

Butch said...

Fred, if you think that's bad, wait until Canon sends the camera back to you. If you have any free time you might want to plan a round trip drive in the Beemer to IL. to retrieve it. That would save what, at least 8 days of shipping time with some sight seeing available.

Winslow, you probably suffered from the sea salt during shipping across the ocean. Or, it was in a hail storm in Japan before being shipped and no one told you. Hope the new car works out for you.

moneythoughts said...

I guess if I was a real camera nut, I would own a Leica. But I am not into photography. For me it is a tool, not something for creating beautiful pictures. That takes patience, and I like to click and shoot.

I do drive a German car, but the Japanese make some good cars too.

Jientje said...

Aaaaah, well, all's well that ends well, isn't it? Glad you got it back and good for you they're doing it for free! Saves you a trip to Japan, but I'm sure Maggie would have assisted, just like Lou said.